Senior Medical Science Liaison - MI, IL, WI MN
erving as a key extension of the Medical Affairs team, the Senior Medical Science Liaison will act as a company field-based clinical and relevant disease state expert responsible for communicating scientifically based information and gaining insights in support of Akebia products.
Remote in United States
Medical Science Liaison
Annually: USD 0 - 0
(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US and Canada)
Apply for this Job
THIS IS A FIELD BASED POSITION IN MI, IL, WI, MN (with occasional coverage of north western states from IA to OR/WA)
Nearly 37 million Americans are currently affected by Chronic Kidney Disease. 37 million.
At Akebia we take that number very seriously and every day we come to work, with the purpose of bettering the lives of each person impacted by kidney disease and the renal community that serves them.
Our tenacious, passionate employees challenge the status quo and work to develop unique therapeutics that have the potential to set new standards of care for people living with kidney disease.
This is life-changing work, and we are all in, are you?
Serving as a key extension of the Medical Affairs team, the Senior Medical Science Liaison will act as a company field-based clinical and relevant disease state expert responsible for communicating scientifically based information and gaining insights in support of Akebia products. The MSL’s primary function is field-focused, through scientific exchange that translates Akebia clinical information into relevant scientific discussions for Key Medical Experts (KMEs), and HealthCare Providers (HCPs). The MSL strategically supports collaborations with KMEs involved in clinical research related to Akebia’s pipeline.
The MSL contributes to development and execution of medical plans. In partnership with multiple internal stakeholders, the MSL aids in executing short and long-term strategies that integrate and advance solutions and education to fulfil unmet needs of the CKD healthcare community.
- Develops and executes strategic medical plans for all marketed products as well as products in development across the portfolio of Akebia products and therapies.
- Identify and develop strong professional peer-to-peer relationships with KMEs and other prominent HCPs as they relate to both Akebia's marketed and pipeline products.
- Collect intelligence through scientific and medical exchange with clinical investigators and medical experts and communicate relevant information to Akebia to impact clinical strategies and interpret medical insights.
- Deliver presentations to KMEs and other relevant HCPs.
- Attend medical/scientific meetings and report relevant findings of strategic interest to internal customers.
- Respond to unsolicited scientific inquiries of KMEs, HCPs, investigators, hospital systems, and academic medical centers makers in a compliant manner that clearly communicates scientific data to meet customer needs;.
- Complete all internal reporting in an accurate and timely manner.
- Assist training initiatives for new MSL team members and serves as a mentor for junior MSLs.
- Adhere to all internal policies and external guidelines.
- Collaborate with partners in Medical Affairs and Research & Development in support of clinical trials, including site identification, assessment, education of investigators, conduct of recruitment events, and participation in investigator meetings.
- Facilitate investigator-initiated study (IIS) and collaborative studies per compliance.
- Complete other miscellaneous MSL-related projects as assigned by the Director, Field Medical
- Develops effective and compliant business partner relationships with cross-functional colleagues within territory;
- Advanced clinical or medical degree (MD, PharmD, PhD, NP, PA or equivalent)
- 3+ year’s pharmaceutical industry experience required, or equivalent.
- Strong understanding of current US Healthcare system including an understanding of Dialysis organizations and payment preferred.
- Strong understanding of KME and HCP practice related to chronic kidney disease (CKD)
- Clinical and pharmaceutical background with CKD/nephrology preferred.
- Strong understanding of clinical trial conduct and interpretation including an understanding of basic statistics and evidenced based medicine.
- Strong verbal and written communication and presentation skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Excellent strategic thinking, negotiation abilities, and problem-solving considering all the potential implications of key decisions.
- Ability to work independently as well as cross functionally.
- Demonstrated ability to independently work under pressure in a compliant and highly regulated environment.
- Able to work exceptionally in a collaborative team environment.
- High proficiency in problem-solving, solution-oriented, and strong scientific analytical skills.
- Demonstrates initiative and has a passion for the role and the patients we serve.
- Travel requirements: Up to 70% (with time managed between home office and field) and applicants must possess a valid driver’s license.
Are you an Akebian?
An Akebian is curious, empathetic, and values making connections to people and ideas. Akebian’s aren’t afraid of diving in and owning a process or a problem, because we all want to deliver a great solution. Akebian’s believe that we are better together because we are all working toward a common purpose – to better the life of each person impacted by kidney disease. Want to learn more about what it means to be an Akebian? Visit our website: www.akebia.com
COVID 19 Vaccination: All Akebia new hires will be required to provide documentation that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or, if not, that they are legally entitled to an accommodation due to a medical condition or a sincerely held religious belief. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis, and Akebia will consider, among other things whether a proposed accommodation would create an undue hardship. Please note that it is unlikely that accommodations can be granted for customer-facing positions.
Akebia is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes all job applicants. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, height, weight, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other factors prohibited by law.
28 days ago